About Me

I write about my dreams because I remember them. Some are complete nonsense and barely memorable, but some are significantly vivid that it's mesmerizing. And because of that I'd like to share them with the world.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Darn that Insomnia

Whenever I'm not dreaming or during flu season, sleeping, completely unconscious due to some sketchy, probably expired, cough syrup medication, I have these dreaded moments of insomnia. During these times I am usually sitting in bed staring at the ceiling  at the scratches of paint, or the word gullible I etched on when I was seven and sometimes just the blank, white surface. After counting up a billion sheep I turn over to the side and watch the numbers on my clock roll.
http://www.toonpool.com/user/2296/files/without_sleep_or_insomnia_305485.jpg
Then there are those crazy people who turn to me saying I should just take some sleeping pills and go on my merry way but i don't think it's smart to follow crazy people. So, I decided to research this annoying but yet phenomenal irritation that is insomnia. 

Insomnia is in fact very common and some of the reasons for it are easily preventable. It's not a disease, so for those who have it, don't worry but a habit that can be changed. Chronic insomnia should be taken care of and checked by a doctor of some sort. (a sleeping doctor?) to help with some of the symptoms that are causing the lack of sleep. But most of the time, insomnia is caused by stress or anxiety, physical health and the Starbucks frappuccino you had an hour before you went to bed. Personally the stress of school would be the cause of my insomnia and maybe the Starbucks but a simple switch in what you do before you fall asleep such as relaxing verses studying before sleeping or saving the coffee for the morning can cure the hours long wait of trying to fall asleep. 

http://usftherapist.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/insomnia-cartoon-chruch-com.gif

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. This happens to me all the time! Whenever I have time to get to bed early, I literally lay in my bed for close to two hours just closing my eyes and wishing I could fall asleep. I usually end up thinking to myself, "How have I fallen asleep in the past?" but that never ends up working out... I guess you're right... I should probably lay off of the coffee, but it's just so gosh darn good and it helps me stay awake during the day! (And at night... which is the problem) :)

    ReplyDelete