About Me

I write about my dreams because I remember them. Some are complete nonsense and barely memorable, but some are significantly vivid that it's mesmerizing. And because of that I'd like to share them with the world.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Looking at the Nightmare in the Eye

It was nighttime, the sky was pitch black and I was alone in the city. I had become lost and wandering for hours since I had no contact with anyone. 
Unexpectedly, a man was standing in front of me twirling his knife around his fingers just a couple yards away, and I of course I couldn’t fight him off after my tired muscles had been working all day. I began to run, but something pulled me back.
At that moment a girl walked up to me, she started to talk but I was deaf to her voice focusing on the stranger in front of me while walking backwards. When my mind slipped off the monster ahead of me, I heard her yell, “RUN!”
I ran for my life, around the corner of the block, to an old school building still standing though it had been abandoned for years. I pulled the girl into the building noticing a white light still on in a classroom. There were people there. There were ten children sitting in a circle clapping and playing childish hand games. I dashed into the classroom, locking the door shut, pulling down the blinds and turning off the lights I whispered to the teacher to quiet down her children. She nodded at me and that's when I noticed she didn't have a face. It was a blank head that stared at me, no eyes or mouth. The kids all turned around with the same blank pale faces pointing toward me.
The man outside the classroom shouted and screamed. He slammed on the door handle with whatever he had been holding and broke the lock. He ran into the room and brought his knife to my neck - 
I flipped my eyes open to see the darkness that my pillow had fallen on the ground due to my wild tossing, and the alarm clock blinked 2:00 a.m. I knew that it was all a dream though my nerves prevented me to going back to sleep. 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-E80EZ1eVYE0/TjhSMRCRQ0I/AAAAAAAABhQ/uuaYTz9Xvf4/s1600/Nightmares.jpg

I think I had my first nightmare when I was seven years old. That being I may have had one when I was younger but I'm not very aware of really anything before the age of six. My first nightmare didn't have to do with anybody chasing after me, or anyone threatening my life, but it happened when my sister was devoured by a car. Yes, a car. But then again, I was six, so you have to understand that my creativity at that point only ranged from so far. The dream I just shared with you today was a dream I had when I was in seventh grade, and I know when I have these dreams because, nightmares stick to you. It's a moment of sudden shock where you're sweating and shaking in your bed and you're clinging to your blankets because you don't want to fall asleep back into that same dream. Or if you're like me, and you know who you are, you crawl into your older sister's bed because you know she'd protect you if anything happened. Well that is the intent, at least. 
Nightmares are dreams where your subconscious is telling you that basically you need to take care of something. It is usually the cause of a real life trauma or situation. This sounds familiar to the reason that we have those pest dreams that I wrote about earlier. However, this time in stead of it being an annoyance, usually a nightmare symbolizes you trying to escape a fear. Sure insects are fears but they are more nuisances, nightmares and homicidal mass murderers chasing you primarily, well should, fall under the category as fear. 
I spent the other day lounging around reading next to my cat who was sleeping peacefully on my lap. In a sudden second she flinched violently and woke up looking at me. Nightmare? I really have don't know what it was, but hey it can happen to anyone!

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-pictures-kitten-had-a-nightmare.jpg


Now, my sister is off to college, so I've only got one solution. Face it myself. I don't get many nightmares anymore, maybe that's a sign of confidence which I doubt. A wonderful site explained how to escape nightmares besides lucidly dreaming, which is where you control your own dreams, but to confront the monster. I'm not sure how well this would work but maybe. However if you're like me, and don't have the nerve to turn to a horrific serial killer and saying "hey can you stop?", then just hope you'll wake up soon. Besides, maybe all that exhilaration is good for your cardiovascular system or something.  


http://isviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Sleep-With-A-Teddy-Bear.jpg


1 comment:

  1. I think it is fascinating that you can control your dreams. Whenever I'm dreaming I don't think I'm quite aware that I'm dreaming which makes nightmares terrifying. I read the article that you linked to about lucid dreaming and I will now try to become more self-aware when I'm awake to begin to strengthen my ability to lucidly dream. It’s always terrible when you have a nightmare and wake up with a cold sweat and in the dead of night wondering what just happened. Nightmares always make the next day slightly less enjoyable I think, because you spend the entire day thinking about the dream. If I could control my dreams and learn more about what is going on in my sub-conscious I could better understand myself and control my fears better.

    ReplyDelete