About Me

I write about my dreams because I remember them. Some are complete nonsense and barely memorable, but some are significantly vivid that it's mesmerizing. And because of that I'd like to share them with the world.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Hope for the Dreamless

http://naturemadesleep.org/
Many of whom that claim that they don't dream or have vivid dreams are just sleeping too much and way to early. An article explains the scientific theory of how those who are more sleep deprived experience greater intensity and brain activity when they sleep. This is from "REM rebound" and as the article explains, REM is the "rapid eye movement" state of sleeping where our eyes move, well, rapidly but our bodies are almost completely still in order to prevent acting out our dreams as they occur. This is supposed to help with the sleep walking although it might not be effective for just about everybody. Researches believe those who are sleep deprived are lacking much of their REM time and thus when they get the chance to sleep, their brain will skip many stages of sleep just to get into the REM period. This time period is where most of the dreaming occurs. Obviously, it would be truly scary to have an extreme vivid dreams every night especially if it's ones with things eating you. And I seem to get those a lot. Although dreams are something that may interest many and having them seem mesmerizing, I think the health and sanity benefits of actual 9 -hrs of sleep would be the most rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. So that's why I think I don't dream! How come the REM rebound is necessary though? I'd think that repairing our bodies is more important than dreaming. I've also heard about people laying awake to the point of exhaustion so that they have what's called "lucid dreaming". This is where you're awake your dreams but you can't move.
    Here's a link to a lucid dreaming website... http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/

    ReplyDelete